Monday, February 16, 2009

Our Valentine's Day












Valentine's Day was really fun this year. Growing up, my mom always would celebrate each holiday with a little gift basket (that always included a stuffed animal) for Kristy and me. I want to keep that tradition alive for my kids. They were really excited to get their baskets and played with them all morning. Ty did get a stuffed animal...next year he'll get a basket don't worry! We had a pancake breakfast and then went to their favorite park in Surfside. I wanted to do something special for Avery so I decided to have a romantic dinner on the patio after the kids went to bed. So after a lot of thought, I came up with a special menu. The 1st course was lamb chops because we both LOVE them. I asked Avery to grill them for a couple minutes on each side. He looked at me weird and was like "Are you SURE you want me to grill them?" I said, "Yeah it will be fine" ....here's the thing; we have an "illegal" grill on our patio that I snuck up last Father's Day and I swear this thing knows it's not supposed to be on our property because basically every time we grill on it, it burns the food. So as I was finishing up making our main course, Avery rushes in with a plate of charred (and I mean charred) lamb chops and says the grill was flaming up so high he was seriously getting nervous. Oh well...we got a couple good bites in. The main course was seriously good though. You all know I love to cook and I was proud of this one. I made spaghetti and clam sauce. Real clams in the shells and all. I made garlic bread smothered in smashed garlic, herbs, and a stick of butter too. Growing up, my grandfather and I used to both love spaghetti and clams. We would go to a little hole-in-the wall, Italian kitchen to get it. Anyways, Avery loved it. For dessert, I made chocolate mousse. We ate with rose pedals and little candles all around. It was an awesome dinner.



6 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow!! That looks so yummy! What cute valentine traditions!

Kim said...

Sounds like it was a great day! I love that you are trying to do things your mom did. I do the same thing. She would make us special birthday crowns out of card stock and tin foil. Now that tradition is our favorite part of birthdays. The girls love their birthday crowns.

Fer, Liz, Jocelyn, Brooke & Dane said...

Oh how fun! You are an awesome cook. You guys are so cute together. My mom always did cute baskets for easter, but I think I like the day for all holidays. We will have to try it.

J. Shaffer said...

I loved your little Valentine Baskets. Your dinner looked Amazing! Avery is such a lucky guy :).

Anonymous said...

The baskets are adorable and the dinner looked DELICIOUS! Sounds like you had a great day! XOXO

Ty and Trista Swartzlander said...

You are such a sweet Mommie and a hotty wife. Your family is so blessed to have you. Can't wait for tonight. :)