Thursday, March 26, 2009

In loving memory.....

Seven years ago today, my mom passed away. This post is to remember and honor her. She is buried in St Petersburg so I wasn't able to go visit her today, but I thought of her often.

My mom, Kristy and me

Here we are again



Bad quality pic, but this is my mom and Avery when she was sick.



As most of you already know, my mom passed away from ALS or Lou Gehrig's Disease. This disease took her life at the age of 49. It was really diffcult to see the strong person I knew grow weak before my eyes and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. No one knows how you get the disease and there is no cure...and it is terminal. This disease is progressive and kills the muscles in your body slowly, eventually leading to full paralysis. My mom lost her ability to talk, swallow, eat, walk, and move any part of her body. ALS took everything, but not her spirit. Even though she was physically weak, she kept hope and showed more strength than I've ever seen anyone portray. Today, I want to honor her. She will always be my inspiration and I miss her so much. I love you mom.

4 comments:

Jen I said...

That's really sweet to read about your mom. I think it would be so hard to watch someone waste away. Sometimes I'm grateful my dad passed away from a heart attack. I know how hard it would have been on him and everyone else if he had had to watch himself decline. I can't imagine. It's neat to see those pictures of you with her though.

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful tribute to your mom, Kim. I have a verse for you... "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints." Psalm 116:15 What wonderful hope the Lord has given us that we will see our loved ones again. You will be in my prayers... I love you!

J. Shaffer said...

Kim, I love this post. It brought tears to my eyes! Your mom was such a special person and I know you miss her so much. She certainly is watching down on you guys and is so proud of the person you are and your wonderful family. I love you!

Fer, Liz, Jocelyn, Brooke & Dane said...

Kim thanks for sharing your personal thoughts about your mother and her death. I remember us talking about her when we were there. You obviously have her strong spirit. Love and miss you guys.